Friday, May 13th ... the night my father died, was a shock to all of us. I'm only able to write about it more clearly now... Though we were expecting him to pass soon, we didn't expect that it would happen less than two hours after my brother Tang, his son Jeremy, my son Alexandre and I arrived to see him. Alexandre and I had just flown in that afternoon to Chicago, on a flight from Hong Kong. We all drove to my sister Ying Ying's house in Champaign, where Dad had just been transferred from Rush Hospital earlier that day. The 3 of us were planning to take care of him in the comfort of home, during his last days of life. When I did see him, it was heart wrenching. I barely recognized the person lying there in bed – his eyes, red-rimmed and teary, were rolling up into their sockets, tubes were coming out of everywhere helping him to breathe and take care of other bodily functions. He was breathing noisily like a fish out of water, his temples had sunken in, and he could bare...
Comments